Saturday, October 9, 2010

propagation and dx

This morning 15 meters was wide open.  And there not many people on.  I was fortunate and made contact with TK7KA in Turkey on SSB.  This was my first contact with Turkey.  Wow.  Low sunspot numbers.  Everyone complaining about no dx and boom I make contact with Turkey.
I will admit that I had my little ALS 600 screwed up as high as I could.  But, I don't have a beam.  I made contact using a vertical, A BigIr by Steppir.  Yes, I had the antenna in 3/4 wave mode, but.....
As I thought about this contact this afternoon it prompted me to scan my log and see what other dx I have worked in the last couple of weeks.  So....... here is the list.  It is not here to brag but to say that there is dx if we work it. Keep in mind I work so I don't have all day and all weekend to sit and play radio.  Though I will say my wife is kind and lets me work some of the contests if I ask nicely HI HI.  Sometimes the contacts are not pretty; this morning the station in Turkey was not moving the needle and there was deep QSB that would totally take him out.  But we made contact and exchanged reports.
The list, all contacts by phone
date                utc             band                          dx                                  call
9/22             0404             7 mhz                   French Polynesia             FO8RZ     
9/25             1742           21 mhz                   Slovak Republic              OM3DX
9/25             1745           21 mhz                   South Africa                    ZS1ZY
9/25             1927           21 mhz                   Zimbabwe                       Z21BB
9/25             2025           14 mhz                   Poland                             SP5BR
9/25             1307           21 mhz                   Italy                                 IZ6BVX
9/25             1355           21 mhz                   Qatar                               A71CT
9/25             1627           21 mhz                   Wales                              MW0ZZK
9/25             1637           21 mhz                   Costa Rica                       TI3/W7RI
9/26             1917           14 mhz                   Bulgaria                            LZ5R
9/26             1952           14 mhz                   Fed. Rep. of Germany      DL7OK
9/26             2051           21 mhz                   Falkland Islands               VP8LP
9/26             2315           14 mhz                   Antartica                          VP8DMH
10/2             0340              7 mhz                  South Africa                     ZS3D
10/2             1339            14 mhz                  Ukraine                            US0LW
10/2             1648            21 mhz                  Corsica                            TK5EP
10/2             1919            21 mhz                  New Zealand                   ZM4T
10/2             2052            14 mhz                  Australia                          VK7ZE
10/2             2123             21 mhz                 Australia                          VK4KW
10/3             1656             18 mhz                 Lithuania                          LY5A
10/3             2041             18 mhz                 French Guiana                 FY1FL
10/3             2048             21 mhz                 St. Helena                       ZD7FT
10/7             1254             14 mhz                 European Russia              RA3QPY
10/9             1308             21 mhz                 Turkey                             TA7KA
10/9             1309             21 mhz                 France                             F8KHF
    
 Not bad for casual operations. Part of the contacts on the 25th and 26th were made during the Texas QSO Party, so I did have some extended operating time there.  There are some contacts in my log that are not in this list.
I don't have hundreds of feet of radials for my vertical, I live in a suburb with a small back yard and the antenna is installed in a garden bed next to wood privacy fence.
As stated earlier, the purpose of this list is to show that you can work dx even in less than optimum conditions.  Note how many of the contacts were made on 15 meters.  Supposedly the upper bands should not be providing much dx with the solar cycle as it is but as you can see it is alive and doing quite well.  I would be foolish if I did not admit that much of my success is due to the other operators antenna.  With my vertical there is little help for my signal.  So......... to everyone who pulled me out; my heartfelt thanks
until next time
73 and good dx
Leslie AD5WB
Galveston Island, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment